Canby Christian Church was incorporated as the First Christian Church of Canby on December 9, 1893. The first building was constructed in 1898 at its existing location. By the late 1950s, all available space was taken for worship services and Sunday school classes. The church board approved a plan to remove the1898 building, save the basement, and contract a new and larger structure. This plan required an area for church services during construction—an area that would become the fellowship hall. The fellowship hall allowed room for CCC’s first kitchen. Unfortunately, the building and the kitchen were partially destroyed by fire within a year after completion and later restored in 1961. The current sanctuary was built in 1968, and the education wing was added in 1977.
In the 1960s, attendance averaged around 170 people, but in early 1970s, the church saw its greatest growth through the bus ministry under the leadership of Pastor Jay Hoffman; by the late 1970s, attendance swelled to roughly 600 regular members (including 200 kids bussed to services). On Easter Sunday in 1979, CCC had a campaign called “Be One in 1000,” and made a record attendance of 941.
For many years, short-term missions have been an integral part of CCC. The first short-term mission began in 1988 when a group of 14 people camped in a vacant field to evangelize to the people of Mexico. Since then, CCC has remained connected to the church in Mexico and eventually teamed up with AMOR ministries, broadening CCC’s approach to outreach. In 2009, CCC partnered with African Renewal Ministries (ARM), bringing new opportunities in places like Uganda where CCC worked with the local church in Kacungwa to raise money for a medical clinic and a piggery co-op to help encourage wellness and financial security in the community. In addition to humanitarian projects, CCC’s members sponsor nearly 200 children in Uganda.
Over the years, many pastors have played a key part in CCC’s ministry: John Stone in the 1950s; Harold Dunson in the 1960s; Jay Hoffman in the late 60s through 1980; Gary K. Davis 1981—2006; Ken Harvey 2006—2017. Most recently, Aaron Adame was called to serve as Lead pastor starting in the summer of 2017 until current.